August 30, 2010 - Volume 3, Number 9 - Subscribe to this newsletter.
Catechesis and Faith Formation
Tools for Teachers
Liturgy and Liturgical Seasons
- Resources on Saints, Special Days, and Liturgical Seasons - a saints calendar for the whole year with links to resources for saints and special feast days and liturgical seasons. Read more...
- Coloring Book of the Mass - This PDF document contains 12 coloring pages on the parts of the Mass. Read More...
- Back to School Prayers. Read more...
- The Origin of the Peace Prayer of St. Francis - historical background. Read more...
- Ciberiglesia makes accessible for listening 184 religious songs by 31 Catholic artists or groups.
- The American Catholic Web site has an extensive Catholic News section with news articles organised by topics. Read more...
- For Your Vocation is a new Web site with a range of tools for educators, youth leaders and vocation directors. Read more...
Technology and Religious Education
Liturgy & Catechesis Shall Kiss: Online Community - Connecting With People of Faith - Interesting blog article by Joyce Donahue, Catechetical Associate in the Diocese of Joliet Religious Education Office.
www.technology.creativity/Reign_of_God by Tim Welch
Teaching faith to the Internet generation by M. Rex Miller
SafeShare.TV removes distracting and offensive elements around YouTube videos, but it also allows you to crop videos before sharing them.
Useful Resources on Saints and Feast Days
September 2010 Calendar
Resources for feast days in September:
- 3 September: Saint Gregory the Great, pope and doctor - Memorial
- 8 September: Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Feast
- 9 September: Saint Peter Claver, priest - Optional Memorial
- 12 September: Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Optional Memorial
- 13 September: Saint John Chrysostom, bishop and doctor - Memorial (Posters with quotations from Saint John Chrysostome: Wisdom of Saints and Mystics Art Posters)
- 14 September: Triumph of the Holy Cross - Feast
- 15 September: Our Lady of Sorrows - Memorial
- 16 September: Saints Cornelius, pope, and Cyprian, bishop, martyrs - Memorial
- 17 September: Saint Robert Bellarmine, bishop and doctor - Optional Memorial
- 19 September: Saint Januarius, bishop and martyr - Optional Memorial
- 20 September: Saint Andrew Kim Taegon, priest, and Paul Chong Hasang and companions, martyrs - Memorial
- 21 September: Saint Matthew the Evangelist, Apostle, Evangelist - Feast
- 23 September: Saint Pio of Pietrelcina (Padre Pio), priest - Memorial
- 26 September: Saints Cosmas and Damian, martyrs - Optional Memorial
- 27 September: Saint Vincent de Paul, priest - Memorial (Posters with quotations from Saint Saint Vincent de Paul: Wisdom of Saints and Mystics Art Posters page)
- 28 September: Saint Wenceslaus, martyr or Saints Lawrence Ruiz and companions, martyrs - Optional Memorial
- 29 September: Saints Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, Archangels - Feast
- 30 September: Saint Jerome, priest and doctor - Memorial (Posters with quotations from Saint Jerome: Wisdom of Saints and Mystics Art Posters page)
Words of Wisdom Posters
God is a spring of living water which flows unceasingly into the hearts of those who pray." - St. Louis de Montfort
Without love, deeds, even the most brilliant, count as nothing. - Saint Therese of Lisieux
Changing How We Pray: A Guide to the New Translation of the Roman Missal by Rev. Lawrence E. Mick, Catholic Update ©2010
Catholics and Health Care: They Go Together by Father Thomas Nairn, O.F.M., Catholic Update ©2010
Listening With God's Heart by Robin Ryan, C.P., The Passionists' Compassion - Fall, 2009
Listening With Understanding Hearts by Kenneth O’Malley, C.P., The Passionists' Compassion - Fall, 2009
A martyr for his people by Peter Hosking SJ - Madonna - July/August 2010
Through what seemed to be an unlikely conversion, Oscar Romero devoted his whole energies and eventually his life to the cause of the poor.
Trust In God by Reverend Mark Connolly, Spirituality for Today August 2010
Schools must meet new standards to comply with church teaching | USCatholic.org, Friday, August 13, 2010
Where do we get the Marian dogmas? by John Switzer August 2010 issue of U.S. Catholic
Praying to the God Who “Remembers” - The Word Among Us,
Articles for CATECHIST Magazine, September 2010:
Beginnings—Opportunities by Jean Grant
As we begin the new school year, we will recognize many opportunities to follow Jesus and to help others using the talents and gifts God has given us.
I-Am-With-You-Always Bracelets by Margaret Stripe
Where is God when we go through difficult times in our lives?
Celebrating Saint Padre Pio: Holy Person by Patricia Mathson
Feast Day: September 23
The Goodness of Our Ministry by Mary McEntee McGill
Beginning a new school year can be difficult for teachers as well as students.
Helping Teens Understand Catholic Social Teaching by Shari Wills-Phillips
Why is it so difficult to interest teens in Catholic social teaching?
Advice from Master Catechists—September 2010 by Kate Ristow, Dan Thomas, Chris Weber, and Sister Janet Schaeffler
How can I be less resistant to our new text? What's a quick-and-easy review for the beginning of the learning year?
Be an Evangelizing Catechist! by Tom Quinlan
As a catechist, you share the Good News of Christ with others.
Craft Clip: Produce Netting by Jeanne Heiberg
Craft Clip gives you ideas for using ordinary household items in crafts and other activities with your students.
Wonderful Words, Healing Words for the School Year by Jeanne Heiberg
6 Principles for Managing Successful Faith Formation Sessions by Daniel Abben
"Why? What did I do wrong?" asked James as I, a frustrated new catechist, banished him to the hall for bad behavior.
Begin with a Vision by Marlene Sweeney
"And what might the new catechetical year ahead hold?"
The Beatitudes: An Introduction by David Wheeler-Reed
2010 Catechetical Sunday Materials and You - by Michael E. Steier, D. Min.
Catechetical Sunday is September 19.